5th Sunday of Lent (Year A, 2011)

 
Entrance Out of the depths (Scott Soper)
Kyrie Mass XVII
Psalm Ps 129 (Peter Smedley)
Gospel Acclamation Praise to you, O Christ (James Walsh)
Preparation of the Gifts Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts (Henry Purcell, 1659-1695)
Sanctus, Acclamation, Amen Mass XVII
Agnus Dei Mass XVII
Communion I will put a new spirit within you (Stephen Dean)
Recessional Praise to the holiest
 

From the depths to the height, in our entrance song (echoing today’s responsorial psalm) and our recessional hymn. At communion we had Stephen Dean’s I will put a new spirit within you, a new one for us. Its text was from Ezekiel 36, and echoed the same image from the following chapter, which appeared in today’s first reading:

You will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and raise you from your graves, my people. And I shall put my spirit in you, and you will live.

The responsorial psalm itself said:

O let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my pleading.

Henry Purcell set a similar plea for forgiveness from the burial service from the Book of Common Prayer:

Shut not thy merciful ears unto our prayer,
but spare us Lord most holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.