Funeral Mass of Fr Anthony Sudlow

Friday, 8 January 2016

 
Entrance Sweet Heart of Jesus
Kyrie Mass XVI (chant)
Psalm Because the Lord is my shepherd (Christopher Walker)
Gospel Acclamation Easter Alleluia (chant)
Preparation of the Gifts If ye love me (Thomas Tallis, c.1505-1585)
In bread we bring you, Lord
Sanctus, Acclamation, Amen Mass XVIII
Agnus Dei Mass XVIII
Communion O Bread of Heaven
Ave Verum Corpus (William Byrd, c.1540-1623)
Come to me (Martin Barry & Diane Murden)
Commendation Song of farewell (Ernest Sands)
Recessional Hail Queen of Heaven

Fr Anthony served at the Cathedral from 2010 to 2014, immediately after his ordination to the priesthood at the age of 69, after some years of widowhood and a long career in banking. He was a wonderful priest: gentle, humble, engagingly self-deprecating and with a strong ars celebrandi, reverent, focussed and unfussy. He sang the Mass willingly, with a fine voice. In his last e-mail to me he said I didn’t realise how much I missed your music until I was sat in Cathedral this morning. It brought back some good memories.

For his Funeral Mass we had a good mix of music, old and new, congregational and choral, and I think he would have liked it. There was a fine eulogy too, delivered after Communion by his nephew Brian. Fr Anthony’s death is a sudden and sad loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.